Sunday, October 01, 2006

$60,000 generator

Bogalusa's Mayor entered into an apparently-illegal cost-plus contract. Either that contract or another one was incredibly expensive - the apprentice on the job was paid over $30 an hour, according to one article I read. I am looking for the reference and will update when I find it.

In the unsuccessful hunt for that cite, I ran into this Daily News article from March 20, 2006 - a lovely "wish list" for Bogalusa emergency operations, said Mack the Mayor. It includes:

One generator for City Hall for communications and operations during emergencies, $60,000
That's a lot of money for a generator, even though I'm sure they need a big one.

So I surfed on over to Generator Joe to look up prices. A 105kW Baldor natural gas model is about $23,000, weather enclosed. Probably a few more thousand for delivery and hook-up, maybe have to pour a concrete pad for it, etc.

Seems like that'd be plenty big enough, to run lights and computers and radios? I'm hardly an expert in such matters, but that is one humongous gen.

Maybe somebody is going to procure it cost plus. Heh.

No comments: