Thursday, May 18, 2006

Lessons in paperwork

I traveled out of state and bought a used car. That state issued a temporary registration on the basis of the seller's signature on the back of the title. No notary required.

I drove the car home and tried to get it insured, but my agent said I needed a notarized bill of sale. I had that document, but not notarized, as it wasn't required by the issuing state.

I thought I was in a catch-22 for a while. Can't get the registration changed here or title issued until the vehicle is insured. Can't get it insured until the title's changed unless I had a notarized bill of sale. Time was running out. What to do?

The agent said there was a notary nearby. I don't see why they would've been able to help; they have to witness signatures they notarize. Don't they?

The seller's over 500 miles north. I could have called him. He's a good guy and would've redone the bill of sale up there* and expressed it to me, but what a p.i.t.a. and additional expense.

Fortunately, the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles passed the paperwork, because they don't require a notary if the issuing state doesn't require it.

Lesson: Don't get title change advice from your insurance agent.

Notice: There might be a notary in Bogalusa who will affix his or her seal to signatures s/he doesn't actually witness. I am not a lawyer, but that doesn't sound legal to me.

-----------------

* Just about everywhere in the country is "up there" from here.

No comments: