Sunday, April 30, 2006

James Delos Nobles

Over at the Hardcopy message board, the site owner posted a picture of Delos Nobles, described as the wanderer of Washington Parish. Kids were threatened with him - "Delos Nobles will gitcha" - and he was seen everywhere, on foot, throughout Washington, St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes, even as far as Gulfport and Biloxi, Mississippi. Seems that he attained a sort of legendary status and was a well-known local character.

I can't figure out how to post a screen snapshot on this blog, and the archives at the Hardcopy board aren't saved. From what some who encountered him have written, Delos was probably schizophrenic, poor soul. He was described as talking to himself, haranging inoffensive people with the threat of hellfire and damnation, etc.

This page shows his genealogy. He was one of ten children of George Washington Nobles and Arneecy Caroline Miley, and lived to the ripe old age of 80 years, dying in 1991.

Rest in peace, Delos.

UPDATE: Comment screenshot. Whoopee!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP

Anonymous said...

Delos Nobles was not schizo at all. In later years he might have preached a little hellfire and damnation, but he was so harmless. Definitely not schitzo by any means.

He walked everywhere collecting cans by the side of the highways, ect. Lee has him posted on the front page of Hard Copy. See where you have the screen shot? At the top it says Main....Search...Post a Message and then last one in yellow click on it. Takes you to front page of Hardcopy and there is the sketch of Delos Nobles.

Unknown said...

As a small child in the mid 50s to early 60 I spent many summers with my relatives in Bogalusa. Delos was used as a control agent and I was terrified of the thought of Delos getting me. The happiest days of my life were spent riding around Bogalusa being threatened by the thought of Delos. As I got older I realized how harmless he was. I will go to my grave with gratitude for my Bogalusa family and friends who made my early life an adventure I could have never imagined on my own. RIP Delos.